Saturday 12 December 2009

Surfing- Porthcawl- December 2009


Arrived in time to catch the pushing tide on a beautiful sunny, allbeit cold day. Condition were 3-4ft and clean with moderate offshore winds which held the waves up nicely for steep drop ins. The waves offered tough conditions paddling out, especially towards back line with waves crashing just infront of us and trying to drag us back and flip us. Despite this everyone made it without much trouble. Nigel proved to be a natural showing no fear on the steepest drop ins before carving along the face (whooping for joy and scaring many surfers) and peeling neatly off the back. It was very difficult to believe this was his first ever time surfing as he quickly overcame his initial nerves at the size of the swell! I quickly forgot about surf etiquet in my rush to catch my first big steep wave and nearly blunted into a surfers face. Barny managed to land his first ever blunts as well as some unintentional loops (one of which causing a deck implosion). But the best trick was a joint effort on mine and Rheannas part, as she dropped down the wave face towards me I knew there was no way of getting out of the way and so hurled myself upside down, she grinded over my upturned boat before I righted myself and she carried on off down the wave! We got out as the tide rose high on the rocks and the conditions became cramped as everyone was squeezed into one part of the bay. We all got out on and around the lifeguard ramp (Nigel landing perfectly on an incoming wave) apart from Barny who for no explainable reason fell out of his boat when trying to get out (:P)! A very pleasant day with great weather and great surf! Ross.

No comments: